Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2 Average
High Powered Southern Program - Looking for Sub-I's
UAB is a historically great program. They boast that if you even get an interview at UAB you'll be likely to match.
Sub-I'd at UAB this year and can confirm it's the true "diamond in the rough" that I've heard people call it.

The residents were all phenomenal, and freaking hilarious, people who all are individually (and together) working on some cool projects. They all enjoyed teaching as well for the most part. Their hospital is an absolute unit, and their case diversity was pretty sweet to witness as a student (I'm sure everyone's opinion will be different here). Just overall seemed like an environment I'd love to have spent the next 7 years at, and am partially sad that I can't.

While I'm sure there are better methods to get this information across - I personally would just say that as a sub-I, I wish the rotation itself was a bit more demanding maybe? I'm not sure if that's the right word - but meaning I really enjoyed that you all had weekly attending assignments (especially with Markert, Hadley, and Riley), but I suppose I wish there were opportunities besides rounding in the morning where we could be helpful or be responsible for certain things. It would have been nice to showcase more of what we (hopefully) learned in medical school as far as patient management or responsibility was concerned besides just being someone who can hang all day. I think we definitely got more of this on the clinic side of things when we were able to see patients of our own from time to time. It's also possible that I missed the boat on this and was just a lazy student Wink

Regardless, anyone feel free to PM me if you want more info on the rotation/the dirty secrets - and to the resident who posted this (if you can't already guess who I am), I'd be more than willing to talk more about my experience on the rotation.

Nonetheless, place was dope and I would have loved to have matched there.
Im not sure how OP’s “q2 call” and your “not demanding enough” can be reconciled.
We enjoyed having you too SquidZaddy. I was in your corner but our program has gotten exceedingly more competitive, we all appreciated your work ethic a ton and your sense of humor. Keep up the good work.

I am posting on this forum because I want to take a personal interest in the development of our next class and begin the relationship early. This forum helped me when I was applying and I just want to give back.

Our program and myself appreciate all the kind comments above. UAB historically matches very well and we are interested in becoming more well rounded. 

Feel free to ask any questions about UAB or NSGY in general. I will get to it when I can.
(03-21-2019, 08:10 AM)skullcap Wrote: We enjoyed having you too SquidZaddy. I was in your corner but our program has gotten exceedingly more competitive, we all appreciated your work ethic a ton and your sense of humor. Keep up the good work.

I am posting on this forum because I want to take a personal interest in the development of our next class and begin the relationship early. This forum helped me when I was applying and I just want to give back.

Our program and myself appreciate all the kind comments above. UAB historically matches very well and we are interested in becoming more well rounded. 

Feel free to ask any questions about UAB or NSGY in general. I will get to it when I can.

". I was in your corner but our program has gotten exceedingly more competitive, we all appreciated your work ethic a ton and your sense of humor. Keep up the good work."

WHO REJECTED WHO?????
(03-21-2019, 09:31 AM)IGuest Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 08:10 AM)skullcap Wrote: We enjoyed having you too SquidZaddy. I was in your corner but our program has gotten exceedingly more competitive, we all appreciated your work ethic a ton and your sense of humor. Keep up the good work.

". I was in your corner but our program has gotten exceedingly more competitive, we all appreciated your work ethic a ton and your sense of humor. Keep up the good work."

WHO REJECTED WHO?????

The concept of rejection does not truly exist in the match process (unless you are not ranked or you do not rank a program). Let me clarify, we are getting more competitive and fantastic sub-Is who I hope end up here sometimes do not and honestly, all of that power is the hands of a computer. But I am happy to go to bat for someone amazing.
UAB has trained some phenomenal neurosurgeons with alumni around the country.
You need to have the step score! It's the step 1 and CS. Skullcap knows what's up. He matched in his top 5..ranked UAB higher than MGH, NW, Vandy, and Hopkins. He da man. UAB da men. STEEEEP 1111111. Step, step, step, step.
(04-04-2019, 12:36 AM)Guest Wrote: You need to have the step score!  It's the step 1 and CS.  Skullcap knows what's up. He matched in his top 5..ranked UAB higher than MGH, NW, Vandy, and Hopkins.  He da man.  UAB da men.  STEEEEP 1111111.  Step, step, step, step.

Congratulation on your high Step one score
Will you guys accept interested FMGs as observers ? Thanks !

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)