Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match 2021
(03-22-2021, 01:16 PM)Guest Wrote: There was virtually no home student preference this year - I think the most I saw was 2/4 spots at Baylor, but for the programs that put out >3 applicants (Pitt, Vanderbilt, UCSF, Hopkins, etc.), at most 1 student stayed home. Even the smaller programs like VCU matched their applicants to Mayo and UF.

I think the biggest surprise is that there were no surprises at the top programs commonly cited on this forum. These were the applicants seen everywhere. I think that this is where aways help - to reveal the hidden pathologies of so-called top applicants, and to rise up those without the connections that applicants from bigger schools have.

IMGs and MD/PhDs crushed it this year.

Finally, don't ever let anyone tell you that the virtual match doesn't work when Rush is able to recruit their first female resident.

These programs didn’t want to keep their home students?
(03-23-2021, 07:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 01:16 PM)Guest Wrote: There was virtually no home student preference this year - I think the most I saw was 2/4 spots at Baylor, but for the programs that put out >3 applicants (Pitt, Vanderbilt, UCSF, Hopkins, etc.), at most 1 student stayed home. Even the smaller programs like VCU matched their applicants to Mayo and UF.

I think the biggest surprise is that there were no surprises at the top programs commonly cited on this forum. These were the applicants seen everywhere. I think that this is where aways help - to reveal the hidden pathologies of so-called top applicants, and to rise up those without the connections that applicants from bigger schools have.

Finally, don't ever let anyone tell you that the virtual match doesn't work when Rush is able to recruit their first female resident.

Maybe the home students didn't want to stay. It is a match after all, so it could be the programs liked the outside applicants better or that the home students wanted something else in the program
(03-23-2021, 07:55 AM)Guest Wrote:

Or they didn't want to stay
I think that home student preference should be thrown out of the equation. Too many variables why home students can leave or stay. When you look at some programs, it seems that their home students are much stronger than many of the applicants they took, so what does that mean? A whole bunch of things, or nothing at all because their home students might've couples matched or wanted to get closer to family or a million other reasons. It seems to me that the neurosurgical matching landscape is opening up on a yearly basis, and geographical and home preferences, etc. are becoming less relevant, which is a good thing and goes to show that both, programs and applicants, should only want one thing, and that's fit. I think that's why places like the BNI and Mayo do so well, while other top tier programs felt the need to ride their prestige and prefer good applicants on paper, that end up biting them in the ass when program culture goes down the gutter and ruins a program for a decade until it can smear off the malignant vibes.
(03-23-2021, 08:39 AM)Guest Wrote: I think that home student preference should be thrown out of the equation. Too many variables why home students can leave or stay. When you look at some programs, it seems that their home students are much stronger than many of the applicants they took, so what does that mean? A whole bunch of things, or nothing at all because their home students might've couples matched or wanted to get closer to family or a million other reasons. It seems to me that the neurosurgical matching landscape is opening up on a yearly basis, and geographical and home preferences, etc. are becoming less relevant, which is a good thing and goes to show that both, programs and applicants, should only want one thing, and that's fit. I think that's why places like the BNI and Mayo do so well, while other top tier programs felt the need to ride their prestige and prefer good applicants on paper, that end up biting them in the ass when program culture goes down the gutter and ruins a program for a decade until it can smear off the malignant vibes.

Its also easy to cover up the negative parts of a program on interview day and, in the absence of away rotations, it might seem like your program has pros and cons but everywere else only has pros. It takes a bit of digging to figure out which places are actually malignant and which ones have turned their ship around.

A corollary to this is that sub-i's only measure a couple of the same things as interviews. In the absence of an army of sub-i's, the competition at many top programs seems to have opened up this year. JVG spoke earlier in the cycle about how applicants should take advantage of the chaos and it seems like some were able to do that

How do you all feel about IMGs taking some of the top spots in neurosurgery this year?
(03-23-2021, 10:04 PM)Guest Wrote:

How do you all feel about IMGs taking some of the top spots in neurosurgery this year?

Happens every year, they’re extremely qualified with years of nsgy residency experience overseas in addition to further research/clinical years in the states. Just pubmed any img and you’ll see they’re in a league of their own.. only because they fight an uphill battle to get here.
or you can be an american who went to a medschool abroad but has a parent whose a neurosurgery chair
shots fired!!!
(03-24-2021, 03:15 PM)Guest Wrote: or you can be an american who went to a medschool abroad but has a parent whose a neurosurgery chair

That happened?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)