Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match 2021
(03-25-2021, 03:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 02:46 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 08:18 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:57 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 01:13 AM)Guest Wrote: Every year there are neurosurgeon kids that apply. Not really imposter syndrome but no way to truly be in equal playing field with other applicants. But anyone in that position would take the advantage. You can be an excellent applicant but the only way to get rid of the advantage is to change your name. And that may not work since you were raised around neurosurgeons so people will visibly recognize you as their friends kid. Some places think it’s cool to train “so and so’s” kid so no matter what it’s a huge edge and you won’t be judged in an unbiased way.  I think the applicants in that position are aware and avoid applying to places where their parents work etc to decrease the nepotism/unfair talk.

In defense of some that what you are espousing. BNI match had possibly the most impressive application of all applicants this year. 
Others failed step 1, couldn’t get into a US, medical school, had no research to speak of, and matched at a placed affiliated with  their chairman father.

BNI also matched the son of a Neurosurgeon this year, idk what you're talking about

BNI also matched a toxic individual who comes from extreme privilege, blatantly cheated the system twice during the pandemic, and was hated by tons of people on the interview trail. This person is also constantly on this forum talking up BNI and causing drama. It's easy to hide being toxic on virtual interviews. I feel sorry for that intern class.

LMAO I thought I was the only one who picked up on this. Glad to see the sentiment is shared. I overlapped with this individual many times and saw them blatantly skip meet and greets and even show up late to actual interview days - and one was at a top choice of mine. Like what the fuck how lazy can someone be on a virtual interview trail? Feel sorry for the interview slots taken by up them that other applicants would have been infinitely more appreciative to receive. Hope BNI is happy with their decision.

The fuck? I know the people who matched there and I'd be very surprised if there's an ounce of truth to this. Someone is pissed they didn't match BNI more likely.

People need to quit hating on each other within our fields. This is how insurance companies and politicians have taken control of healthcare. Because doctors are all busy bitching about each other
(03-25-2021, 04:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 03:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 02:46 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 08:18 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:57 AM)Guest Wrote: In defense of some that what you are espousing. BNI match had possibly the most impressive application of all applicants this year. 
Others failed step 1, couldn’t get into a US, medical school, had no research to speak of, and matched at a placed affiliated with  their chairman father.

BNI also matched the son of a Neurosurgeon this year, idk what you're talking about

BNI also matched a toxic individual who comes from extreme privilege, blatantly cheated the system twice during the pandemic, and was hated by tons of people on the interview trail. This person is also constantly on this forum talking up BNI and causing drama. It's easy to hide being toxic on virtual interviews. I feel sorry for that intern class.

LMAO I thought I was the only one who picked up on this. Glad to see the sentiment is shared. I overlapped with this individual many times and saw them blatantly skip meet and greets and even show up late to actual interview days - and one was at a top choice of mine. Like what the fuck how lazy can someone be on a virtual interview trail? Feel sorry for the interview slots taken by up them that other applicants would have been infinitely more appreciative to receive. Hope BNI is happy with their decision.

The fuck? I know the people who matched there and I'd be very surprised if there's an ounce of truth to this. Someone is pissed they didn't match BNI more likely.

People need to quit hating on each other within our fields. This is how insurance companies and politicians have taken control of healthcare. Because doctors are all busy bitching about each other

x3 can also confirm this kid was super weird. They somehow gamed the system and were at BNI for months during the pandemic when everyone else followed the damn rules. They legit said so in an interview breakout room. Its not about hate, but we would hope the interview process does not reward people who have such terrible social skills and disrespect towards other applicants and programs - like so many people noticed all this stuff on a VIRTUAL platform. What a nightmare of a human being.
Very unimpressed by the pity party and personal attacks here. Great future colleagues to look forward to... thankfully it’s a vocal minority.
It's just disheartening to hear the SNS preach about equity while all this shady behavior was going on behind the scenes
(03-25-2021, 06:20 PM)Guest Wrote: It's just disheartening to hear the SNS preach about equity while all this shady behavior was going on behind the scenes

I wish everyone actually ranked according to preference instead of trying to game the system by calling applicants. We're told not to tell multiple programs they're 1 while the programs will tell more applicants than they have spots for that they're "ranked to match" or will "promise" them they'll RTM fi the applicant commits to ranking them #1. Let the algorithm do its job
What's the status on aways? still just 1 this year?
(03-25-2021, 10:53 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 09:40 AM)Guest Wrote: This is ridiculous. If you're pissed with where you matched, do better and work harder. It's not like all 50 spots at top programs were filled my chairmens' children and its not like a department cares who your parents are when they need you to help run the service. See the mess that's happened at Columbia for that very reason (not to say the resident wasn't also a great candidate). Curious to see what happens at Brown. Great candidate and great PD, but a difficult situation for the same reason.

It's similar to how the children of doctors were at an upper hand getting into med school and legacies have an upper hand getting into undergrad. There's no way to truly judge someone's character without lots of exposure so personal connections will always matter more. Be better. Do better. Don't blame the world for acting on you. Blame yourself for not acting on the world.

This thread has turned into personal attacks and a pity party. Sorry to the applicant who was called out. I'm sure you'll make an awesome resident and a great surgeon

I agree with the sentiment about personal attacks and do think blaming people for their privilege is wrong, but I feel a need to specifically disagree with this "be better, blame yourself for not acting on the world.." idea, as if those who fell down their lists or didn't match were just being lazy and not working hard enough.. this sentiment blatantly ignores the fact that the world acts on millions of people every day and holds them down despite their best efforts. Society is largely not meritocratic. For example - sure, not all 50 spots were taken by direct legacies, but I'm going to guess there was a big privilege differential from the beginning of life for a much higher portion of those folks than the rest, in some form or another. It's just the way the world works and it's perfectly legitimate for people to be frustrated by that. It's also legitimate for more privileged folks to feel imposter syndrome for the same reason.

All I'm saying is, some are trying and working as hard as they can, but it's just different when you don't come from a background with connections. I feel lucky to have matched as I know some incredible people who didn't. Are they lazy, did they not act on the world enough? Just as it's wrong to blame privileged applicants for what they got, it's equally wrong to say people who weren't as happy with their matches are entirely to blame for that themselves.

Every year there are chair kids that match.  If I were in that position I would not turn down the advantage.  But this year was a rough match (virtual, no subIs) and know lots of great candidates that didn't get a spot (even at their home program that took 3 people!).  Not trying to do a personal attack but to see something as boldly unfair/suspect as a chair kid matching at an affiliated program of their parent. C'mon man.  That's twisting the knife.  Like I know life aint fair but can you match at another program?  Chair kid I knew this year didn't apply to daddy's program.
Life is unfair. Accept it. You can avoid this or start sucking up to get where you want in life. Sucking up really just means “you scratch someones back and they will get you back”. Everyone is selfish and you need to do something that supports a program. Be an former NFL player, have a girlfriend in general surgery at the same residency, publish your butt off. It your just an average joe who is quiet, doesn’t publish, and just wants to drill spines all day...then watch out. You’ll prob get through residency if liked, but if things go wrong, or if you’re a burden to a program then they will drop you. I saw a coresident unfairly asked to leave a program. He was a quiet guy, didn’t have many friends in the program, and just did his own thing. He got in a dispute with program about things and boom he was gone.

Politics in any job is just a key part of organizational behavior. Make it or beak it.
(03-27-2021, 01:57 AM)Guest Wrote: Life is unfair.  Accept it.  You can avoid this or start sucking up to get where you want in life.  Sucking up really just means “you scratch someones back and they will get you back”.  Everyone is selfish and you need to do something that supports a program.  Be an former NFL player, have a girlfriend in general surgery at the same residency, publish your butt off.  It your just an average joe who is quiet, doesn’t publish, and just wants to drill spines all day...then watch out.  You’ll prob get through residency if liked, but if things go wrong, or if you’re a burden to a program then they will drop you.  I saw a coresident unfairly asked to leave a program.  He was a quiet guy, didn’t have many friends in the program, and just did his own thing.  He got in a dispute with program about things and boom he was gone.  

Politics in any job is just a key part of organizational behavior.  Make it or beak it.

Spot on.
(03-27-2021, 01:57 AM)Guest Wrote: Life is unfair. Accept it. You can avoid this or start sucking up to get where you want in life. Sucking up really just means “you scratch someones back and they will get you back”. Everyone is selfish and you need to do something that supports a program. Be an former NFL player, have a girlfriend in general surgery at the same residency, publish your butt off. It your just an average joe who is quiet, doesn’t publish, and just wants to drill spines all day...then watch out. You’ll prob get through residency if liked, but if things go wrong, or if you’re a burden to a program then they will drop you. I saw a coresident unfairly asked to leave a program. He was a quiet guy, didn’t have many friends in the program, and just did his own thing. He got in a dispute with program about things and boom he was gone.

Politics in any job is just a key part of organizational behavior. Make it or beak it.

Accept it.. for now. Work hard so that you get into a position to change the unfairness. It can't be changed now, but it can be helped with the right work ethic

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)