Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is high program volume a detractor for some?
Reading through the comments of this year's match + programs, people often say that high program volume is a detractor for some people. Why is this the case? I thought its known that more reps = better outcomes, surgically. Why go into a surgical residency with a lack of interest in operating? Is there something I'm missing?
(03-22-2021, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Reading through the comments of this year's match + programs, people often say that high program volume is a detractor for some people. Why is this the case? I thought its known that more reps = better outcomes, surgically. Why go into a surgical residency with a lack of interest in operating? Is there something I'm missing?

There are some that like the idea of neurosurgery more than neurosurgery itself. Granted, you need to have some time for academics if that’s your interest, but in general the neurosurgery OR should be your happy place if you want to do this.
I don't think anyone is disinterested in operating, but there's a difference between the volume at Pitt/Emory and the volume at BNI/Mayo. At the former, more post-ops means a crushing amount of work. At the latter, you have mid-levels to lighten the load.

I'd be surprised if anyone going into NSG hated the OR. I know we're masochists, but that's crazy
I can confirm, at least with my thinking, I wanted a good case volume for residents without getting destroyed on call, such that I'd have some time for research. I love the OR, but don't love the idea of 20 consults per night q2-3 with very little time to get any research done. Big difference between being in the hospital all the time vs. how much of that time is actually spent operating and those aren't always the same
(03-22-2021, 03:07 PM)Guest Wrote: I can confirm, at least with my thinking, I wanted a good case volume for residents without getting destroyed on call, such that I'd have some time for research. I love the OR, but don't love the idea of 20 consults per night q2-3 with very little time to get any research done. Big difference between being in the hospital all the time vs. how much of that time is actually spent operating and those aren't always the same

I see. What programs would you say are indicative of both scenarios?
(03-22-2021, 03:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 03:07 PM)Guest Wrote: I can confirm, at least with my thinking, I wanted a good case volume for residents without getting destroyed on call, such that I'd have some time for research. I love the OR, but don't love the idea of 20 consults per night q2-3 with very little time to get any research done. Big difference between being in the hospital all the time vs. how much of that time is actually spent operating and those aren't always the same

Pitt, UW, strike me as extreme examples of the very high volume. Emory, UCSF and Baylor maybe too. Barrow and Mayo are more efficient with their operative time. Most programs are on a spectrum between these two scenarios
(03-22-2021, 03:11 PM)Guest Wrote:

In addition to Mayo/barrow, UVA comes to mind, possibly Miami (very busy but lot of research coming out there). there’s many more with some programs offering R25s.. ask around (younger residents are best as attendings will have outdated info possibly). There’s a big difference in programs where your swamped with trauma (subdurals and hemicranis get old) vs high volume tumor practice so keep that in mind as well.
Are places like Duke and Stanford considered low volume both trauma-wise and tumor-wise for example?
(03-22-2021, 03:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Are places like Duke and Stanford considered low volume both trauma-wise and tumor-wise for example?

lol Duke low volume for tumor? No
(03-22-2021, 03:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Are places like Duke and Stanford considered low volume both trauma-wise and tumor-wise for example?

Duke claims they operate on 10% of all brain tumors in America, which is an absurd exaggeration

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)