Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MGH
(04-30-2021, 06:39 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm very fortunate I don't overanalyse every little thing out there. And no, I clearly never learned from the best plastic surgeons in the world, but I think my incisions heal alright.

More power to you. I am not here to tell you how to practice, just giving my perspective.
(04-30-2021, 06:39 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm very fortunate I don't overanalyse every little thing out there. And no, I clearly never learned from the best plastic surgeons in the world, but I think my incisions heal alright.

You look like a typical slapdash surgeon who thinks avoiding malpractice suits is evidence of being a good surgeon. Runts like you must be eliminated from the field.

(04-30-2021, 08:00 PM)Focus Wrote:

More power to you. I am not here to tell you how to practice, just giving my perspective.

You sound like an excellent surgeon and I am sure your PD is proud to have you.
(04-27-2021, 04:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 03:21 PM)GuestP Wrote: LOL “disparaging”...

Sounds like you are looking for someone to reassure you about the poor operative experience and technical training at places like MGH. There’s a reason this reputation sticks, because it is unfortunately true. Do you want superior neurosurgical technical training (Barrow, Carolinas, Mayo, etc) or do you want a superior laboratory experience and be a great researcher only operating 1 day/week?

People always say this on here, but as someone finishing residency relatively soon I'm not convinced that actually matters. Are Hervey-Jumper and Khoi Than poor surgeons because they trained at Michigan, a research program? Kalkanis, Hoh, Sheth, Aghi all young(ish) attendings graduating from MGH, currently rising to the top of the national neurosurgery ranks, are they poor surgeons? This notion that you are a poor surgeon after graduating from research heavy programs doesn't seem to prove true when you look at the evidence, and that's coming from a resident at one of the often mentioned "superior technical training programs" on this site. We get our asses kicked with cases but I don't feel much better at hemicranis after my 300th than I did at my 100th.

OP if you want an honest opinion you'll still have the potential to become a great surgeon, that can be said about almost every program in the top 50 on doximity, but a lot will be expected out of you from a research perspective. If you have no interest in basic science that can make you an outcast among faculty leadership and it might make your time in residency harder. This is why you'll always hear us talk about "fit" during interviews. For example my program doesn't care much about research. I spend all my time in the OR, publish 1 or 2 retrospective studies a year, and no one bothers me. I prefer it that way. But if I woke up one day and wanted to find a way to get funding and some day start my own lab my department does not have many of those resources and it would be difficult.

dood..have you operated with than.
(05-01-2021, 12:30 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 04:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 03:21 PM)GuestP Wrote: LOL “disparaging”...

Sounds like you are looking for someone to reassure you about the poor operative experience and technical training at places like MGH. There’s a reason this reputation sticks, because it is unfortunately true. Do you want superior neurosurgical technical training (Barrow, Carolinas, Mayo, etc) or do you want a superior laboratory experience and be a great researcher only operating 1 day/week?

People always say this on here, but as someone finishing residency relatively soon I'm not convinced that actually matters. Are Hervey-Jumper and Khoi Than poor surgeons because they trained at Michigan, a research program? Kalkanis, Hoh, Sheth, Aghi all young(ish) attendings graduating from MGH, currently rising to the top of the national neurosurgery ranks, are they poor surgeons? This notion that you are a poor surgeon after graduating from research heavy programs doesn't seem to prove true when you look at the evidence, and that's coming from a resident at one of the often mentioned "superior technical training programs" on this site. We get our asses kicked with cases but I don't feel much better at hemicranis after my 300th than I did at my 100th.

OP if you want an honest opinion you'll still have the potential to become a great surgeon, that can be said about almost every program in the top 50 on doximity, but a lot will be expected out of you from a research perspective. If you have no interest in basic science that can make you an outcast among faculty leadership and it might make your time in residency harder. This is why you'll always hear us talk about "fit" during interviews. For example my program doesn't care much about research. I spend all my time in the OR, publish 1 or 2 retrospective studies a year, and no one bothers me. I prefer it that way. But if I woke up one day and wanted to find a way to get funding and some day start my own lab my department does not have many of those resources and it would be difficult.

dood..have you operated with than.

I bet he can do a sweet microdisc!!
Why did MGH let go of a PGY4?
“Rising to the top of the national neurosurgery ranks”??? What does that even mean? The above post reads like a grad at a research heavy program who is graduating soon, and all the operative criticism about his program hit a nerve.

There is no national neurosurgery ranking. And if the poster is referring simply to “organized neurosurgery” then those positions have literally nothing to do with operative prowess or outcomes, anyone can volunteer, just most surgeons don’t because they care more about operating, and realize those organizations are jokes anyway that don’t actually do anything, and no one except maybe 12 people on this site actually care about them.
Seconding question re: PGY4?
Are they filling this position?
Bump for ? PGY4 and ?fill
Not filling PGY4 spot. They took an extra intern this year instead (4 instead of 3)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)