Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being a minority (Asian American) resident in the Midwest
I'm an Asian American who has basically spent his entire life in California (high school, undergrad, med school). As I enter my last year of medical school, I'll likely be applying to residency programs in the Midwest. However, I am concerned about what it would be like for an Asian American to live/practice medicine in a predominately white area. If there are any Asian Americans on this forum who have done their residency/medical school in the Midwest, I was curious if you be open to sharing your experiences being a resident in these areas? I understand that racism exists everywhere. I've even encountered racism in my pretty liberal city (primarily at the VA). However, I'm concerned it would be amplified if I entered more conservative parts of the US.
What a troll... The most common doctor last name in the US is Patel

Sounds like you will be safer in the West coast
Asian American here. You’ll be fine. Midwest folks are wonderful.
(02-27-2023, 12:05 AM)JoeyJ Wrote: Since your an MS3, would you be needing any help with publishing papers? 1st year here looking to help with NS research work.

Quit spamming this forum asking about research. It just makes people less likely to work with you as you come out like an annoying twat.
Probably should stick to your safe haven California cities. Gonna have people telling you to your face they want another doctor the second you walk into the room
I like when Asian Americans question racism, they're trolling. When a different ethnic group does it, it's legitimate and you hold protests. Stop normalizing Asian hate.
Didn’t the overwhelming majority of attacks against AAPI the past two years occur in major coastal cities? People in the Midwest are, IMO, among the nicest and least prejudiced (overtly and intentionally, acknowledging we all have our prejudices and biases) in the country. Be brave, pack your crayons
Asian-American here who went to med school in the Midwest. No problems in my experience. You'll probably end up going to school with plenty of people like yourself regardless of which part of the country you end up.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)