Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual summer research?
Hello, so a PI I emailed said I can work on some research with him virtually. it would be a review paper. 

I was just wondering, is this good? I was hoping for an in-person research experience, as that would be better for getting a letter as well as learning. 

Should I decline and go elsewhere?

Thank you so much!
Sure! See how that works out for you!
^^ I will ask him if I can work on something in-person. A remote project would be like a school paper I mean.
Do this project and email someone else. Get multiple projects lined up. Finish one after the other but just communicate with the PI about deadlines and when you can be expected to finish. Look at your time commitments, you can decrease volunteering and other activites. Research should be your priority after school work.
^^ Thank you so much for this advice. I am actually choosing between this and another gentleman. The second PI said I could work in-person over the summer, and then work remotely.

The thing is, this PI is one of the leaders in the field at a top institute. So I was hoping to work in-person with this PI, I'm sure I will learn a lot from that.

Thank you again.
You need to understand that in person or not you will be spending very little time on a day to day basis with these people. You may at best see them at a lab meeting weekly, often not even that Backing out of a project that you asked for is a red flag. Another project will not be offered. Do the project, I often assign students a low risk project to such as a review to begin with until I can see if they have what it takes to be worth investing time. If so, the next project will be a more important project.
(03-14-2023, 08:00 AM)Focus Wrote: You need to understand that in person or not you will be spending very little time on a day to day basis with these people. You may at best see them at a lab meeting weekly, often not even that Backing out of a project that you asked for is a red flag. Another project will not be offered. Do the project, I often assign students a low risk project to such as a review to begin with until I can see if they have what it takes to be worth investing time. If so, the next project will be a more important project.

I personally would be turned off if I reached out to an attending and they assigned me a review article as my first project. I've published a lot and the best residents/attendings that I've worked with started me off with good projects which increased my desire to continue to work with them. For attendings that gave me crap projects with little to no guidance, I simply didn't follow up. You might be inadvertently losing good students with your approach.
Lol I agree with Focus. I would not invest a bunch of time initially unless I see it will be a worthwhile return. Medical students come and go. I would argue most people start with a review or case report. I would personally rather lose arrogant students who think they are too good for it, not worth the time/effort. Medical students are a very temporary investment, they get busy with school, tests, rotations, match, and leave. Most good projects take a year or so...
Lol at "arrogant" students. I could make the same argument about "arrogant" attendings who think that med students have to be worthy for a real project. This is the problem with old geezer attendings on this forum who had it easy in med school. Today's game is far different.
Thank you everyone. I mean, it was a kind of a disappointment. I interviewed with him, read up a lot about his research and was hoping to spend the summer in his lab. In my experience, you learn a lot just from interacting with others when doing research. I also submitted LORs to him. He does very interesting research and gets a lot of grants.

And then I get to work on a respective review on outcomes--remotely. lol

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)