Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youngest Neurosurgery Resident?
Is he the 20 year old who recently matched at MGH? Must be a genious?
That was my impression, very impressive fellow I wish him the best of luck.
he is the sole author on a scientific reports paper in which he lays out a mathematical framework for brain aging. kid is insane and will likely have a substantial footprint on neuroscience and neurosurgery.
His sister also graduated at a similar age and is a fellow at Harvard. No doubt they had parents who supported and encouraged them along the way

How come my parents never supported me? They were always against me. How is this fair??
Graduating young doesn't mean you're a genius or you're going to end up making a high impact in the field. His article on brain economics is nothing novel and was published in a low impact journal (IF of 5). It has had 0 citations since it was published. He has only published 6 papers (5 if you exclude the letter to the editor), all in low impact journals. 6 papers wouldn't cut it for a person of a "normal age." Some of you dudes just see a math equation that you don't understand and think that it's automatically impressive. Additionally, he went to a pretty crappy medical school. I'd expect a genius to be at least at a top 20 medical school.

Dr. Balamurali Amabati was in a similar position when he graduated med school at the age of 17. He hasn't done anything special other than having been a "young doctor." In fact, his medical license was nearly revoked after he was found conducting experimental surgeries on patients without their consent. That brings me to another point of the emotional maturity of a young individual in a field like neurosurgery. The differential in maturity between a 20 year old and a typical 26 year old intern is often drastic.

Also, to the poster above. Life is not fair. Plenty of poor people have gone to be succesful. Stop blaming your parents and set your own path.

I wish the best of luck to this kid. However, I'm not a fan of people conflating "youth" with "genius." It's often a marker of privilege than anything and requires a wealthy family to be able to navigate the system.
Oh yeah? What if he ends up unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics? Sounds like a genius to me
MGH is #1 because they choose based on POTENTIAL, not history.

"B-b-but I'm the better surgeon because muh Alabama program gives mor autonomy"

Cope harder, 'tards.
1. MGH is not #1. Not at the same level as Barrow, UCSF, and Mayo.
2. 5 papers, mid-tier med school, only impressive quality is that he's 20.
3. History is the best indicator of potential.
How did he get in? Just imagine being the guy who did MD/PhD at Harvard who didn't match MGH lol
^ Speaking of MD/PhDs, all 3 UCSF spots were filled by MD/PhDs, which is not surprising given the change in leadership. Probably not worth ranking anymore if you aren't a lab rat.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)