Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Academic + Private Practice
How feasible is it to work in academics and private practice at the same time?

I only know of one person at my institution that does this, and not sure if he is just a special case.

Would something like work in an academic hospital for a subspecialty like peds while also working part-time private practice be possible?
Depends on exclusivity in your contract if you are talking about someone who works for a hospital but then also owns their own practice. What is more common is working for a hospital system in different practice settings (i.e. working at the peds hospital some days and then working at a non-academic affiliate of the same hospital system other days). Certainly possible but depends a little on your motivations. Probably will make a lot more doing locums on the side instead.
Thanks! I'm just trying to figure out what the ideal practice would be for me. I enjoy both peds and adults. And was curious about what type of practice would allow me to do both while also maximizing my earning potential since peds generally takes a pay cut.
Alternative is to have a mixed peds/adult academic practice. That isn't super uncommon. Vandy and St Jude's for example have well established crossover guys that do adult and peds for a given subspecialty.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)