Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great medical schools for learning about neurosurgery?
Hey everyone! I'm a current medical school applicant fortunate enough to be able to pick between different schools this cycle. I have an interest in neurosurgery and wanted to ask about your perspective about medical schools with great educational, research, and clinical/shadowing/networking opportunities for students interested in this space. I've heard that programs like Penn, Columbia, Stanford, Pitt, and UCSF tend to have great track records in producing medical students who are highly successful in the match process.

I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to share some of the schools they went to or heard great things about and their experiences learning from the attendings and faculty there? I would also love to hear how you took advantage of your school's opportunities to become a neurosurgeon and any suggestions you have for new medical students.

Thank you!
Hopkins, Harvard, Vandy, and Miami also come to mind to add to your list.
It is not fair that med schools matter so much.
The med students at Hopkins or UCSF think it’s fair. They’d probably argue that they set themselves up to be at good schools, so why shouldn’t that effort be rewarded?

It’s not going away though. Med school prestige an easy filter for program directors that need a way to efficiently sort through hundreds of applications for 1-4 spots.
Is Jefferson a good med school to attend for matching into neurosurgery?
Any school with a home Neurosurgery program will suffice.
I would look for 1) a school with a home program 2) a school that consistently matches students into neurosurgery and 3)a school that is attached/very closely affiliated to whatever hospital system they’re associated with. 3b) is the biggest name you can get into that meets those criteria. You want access to neurosurgery faculty, the residents, and the research. Cost should be considered if there is a HUGE difference between schools that for the above criteria. Most of preclinical and step 1 will be self taught anyway with you wading through whatever bullshit your school puts you through.
Thank you all very much for your insight. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but would a school like Hopkins be worth $100k over a school like NYU? I know they both have really strong departments and have produced stellar applicants. It seems like Hopkins has a much more productive academic environment but is there a big difference between two in the eyes of PDs?
I’d take free medical school, but who cares what I think. This is your call bruh.
Lol go to NYU over hopkins. NYU sucks for a million reasons but not having debt is super chill. Go look at their match lists in recent years. You don't need to ask strangers. Hopkins matched 2 to nsrg this year, both at home. NYU matched 1, and it was to Barrow. Both excellent programs. The overall number may seem small but most medical students (unlike myself and everyone here) are smart enough not to pursue neurosurgery and have a life. If you think the marginal benefit of prestige at hopkins is worth $360,000, then that's your choice.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)