Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
med student here - is lasik or prk ok?
i have nearsightedness, like -3.0 both eyes, thinking about doing lasik or prk to forever rid of my annoying glasses... BUT research is telling me that nearsighted people like myself see things close-up better and clear w/o glasses as I age, BUT if i get surgeries with PRK, this thing called presbyopia after i turn 40, will not get better! i am looking at Dr. Ben Carson and other neurosurgeons still wear glasses, so i don't want to get lasik or prk and then regret 20 years later because i cannot see good closeup while doing brain surgery, which means i will be a bad surgeon! a dilemma...any neurosurgeons here who did PRK and still no regret? if lasik/prk will hinder performance as a neurosurgeon, no brainer i will not do it, even if it means i continue look ugly in my glasses rest of my life of course!
IMO don't fuck with your eyes, or at least not until you have juicy disability insurance. Shop around until you find a contact brand you like and can wear for 12 hours+. You can always get loopes that have clear lenses.
Totally agree with this. LASIK supposedly has a 0.3% complication rate or something like that, but if your eyes are messed up —> you can’t operate. Have glasses myself and yeah they’re annoying to change between loupes and glasses, but if takes like a minute for the circulator to help you out. Don’t risk your vision.
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/fashion/13SKIN.html

“The 12 patients I talked with all reported feeling as I did, gaslighted. They said they kept telling their doctors that they couldn’t see, and that their doctors kept telling them that they could….

Meanwhile, I walk by eyeglass shops and wish I needed to go inside.”

Have things changed much with lasik since then?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)