Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Relaxed Residency Programs
5am to 8pm is a decent ballpark.
In my humble opinion, only the best of the best ought to go into neurosurgery. If you are not willing to do 5 am to 9pm daily, then you simply don't belong. You need to enjoy your work; if you do, you won't mind it. If you are out here posting stuff about wanting to relax and have it easy--then neurosurgery is probably not for you.

Look into derm, rads, family--or even oncology.
"Good culture" and "not malignant" are not synonymous with low work hours. In a program with no APP support, you'll be working 5AM to 7PM minimum, on a light day as intern and junior resident.
To be blunt, nsgy probably isn't for you. Regardless of how well supported and resourced your program is, there will be immense stress and responsibility on you constantly. If you can't handle the stress and have your program live in fear of you dropping out because of your cancer then you're not gonna make it through. Don't fool yourself and think there's a way to finesse your way through. Try a ROAD speciality and live comfortably
A lot of very mean, psychopathic comments. The fact is, OP has been through a lot, and NO ONE here even expressed a shred of sympathy. Fact is, OP will probably be one of the best surgeons because he knows how it feels like to be sick. He will have empathy for his patients. Most of you here are privileged, spoiled and rotten to the core.
It's no different than rejecting a surgical speciality applicant because they lost 4 fingers in a car accident. Nothing personal against the person, just that they don't have the capacity to fulfill the job.
While I think some of the previous posters could be just a bit more diplomatic. They aren't wrong. Also, if OP's medical condition were to deteriorate during residency and require time away, this places a workload burden on their co-residents which is not fair to them.
More diplomatic? Nah, the freaks came out of the woodworks for this one. Some of these comments have been so elitist and legitimately psychopathic, I can’t imagine any of my coresidents saying things like this.
Yeah, this is all about something that might happen in the future, not an issue that’s happening right now. Imagine if they didn’t let residents drive in the snow or go on ski trips for the same reason.
^^ Are you illiterate? OP is basically saying that he can't work hard. Its not a hypothetical, he is saying he can't work.

He ought to chose a speciality that can accommodate his needs.

Its like, if you can't stand the sun, you can't become a landscaper. Nothing wrong with that, chose another job.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)