Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top residency programs in 2024 (operative)
(01-27-2024, 02:40 AM)Guest Wrote: Carolinas, Miami, Barrow, OHSU, Mayo, Pitt, Baylor, UTSW, Rush, Utah. I am confident about all of these except Baylor and UTSW. Other programs are possibly Maryland, Duke, Mayo Jacksonville, Emory, USC, Houston Methodist

Rotated at 2 of these in the first sentence plus Jeff this year, they operated more and had more autonomy at Jefferson. All seemed like great programs with pros and cons.
Duke shouldn’t be in that list. Was actively discouraged from ranking them high by a faculty because I was looking for operative autonomy.
(01-27-2024, 11:34 AM)Guest Wrote: [quote='Guest' pid='37830' dateline='1706337649']
Carolinas, Miami, Barrow, OHSU, Mayo, Pitt, Baylor, UTSW, Rush, Utah. I am confident about all of these except Baylor and UTSW. Other programs are possibly Maryland, Duke, Mayo Jacksonville, Emory, USC, Houston Methodist

I'm a senior resident at one of these places and I think medical students need to consider that because a place has a lot of autonomy doesn't mean YOU will have a lot of autonomy. Despite what you've been told, not everyone is motivated enough or has the nerve to be alone or lead operations. In many cases people are better served at a place with less autonomy and more directed teaching. Certainly for the right people autonomy is a huge advantage of a program and allow them to flourish. For others (and this is by no means uncommon), autonomy will mean a lack of needed teaching or guidance and mediocre long term performance compared to peers. Surgical skills and response to stressors are never really assessed in medical school so it shouldn't be a surprise that people with a lack of either or both end up in the places mentioned above.
My experience is that 25% of residents will want more autonomy, 25% will want less, and half will be fine as is.
Just bought a new whip

Like I'm a slavemaster
UT Houston
New Mexico
Jefferson or USC? Which one is better?
Both UCSF and Stanford have horrible operative autonomy. Multiple chiefs in same case.
Operative autonomy depends more on the resident than the program, in general.

Fight me

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)