Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SWAT Medical Director as a NSGY Attending
Current US med student who's been gunning neurosurgery since day 1 with no doubts about applying neurosurgery. I come from a first responder background and I recently started volunteering on a SWAT team as a medic as an extracurricular activity. The team's medical director is an ortho attending who also serves as an armed medic on the team. He does this on top of his full time academic ortho position. Not sure about his exact hours but he attends monthly training and goes to callouts/warrants when he can.

This seems to be fairly common nowadays for EM docs, orthopods, and trauma surgeons, but I haven't heard of any neurosurgeons doing this. I'm sure this is due to the nature of the job (longer surgeries, more call/emergencies, fewer neurosurgeons), but it's also a much smaller sample size and there is likely some selection bias of the kinds of people who go into neurosurgery.

I have no illusions or plans of being able to pursue this as a side activity to any depth as a resident because training >>> all else. I'm also willing to drop this completely if it will interfere with my ability to be a good neurosurgeon. That said, does anyone have any insight into if it would be possible to do something similar to the ortho attending as a neurosrgery attending once you get some more control of your schedule?
Just make sure no one shoots the person in the head or spine or you basically just consulted yourself with some BS. Legs/abdomen only. I have never heard of a doctor participating in this, I am not sure how common it really is. My guess is once you are done with training and making money and have responsibilities you will not have a real interest in being part of a SWAT team...
This whole post reads like someone who likes cosplaying with guns but lacks the real courage to actually become and soldier, and just wanted to tell someone he follows a SWAT team around. Consider us all told. But no neurosurgeon will think that this is the flex u seem to think it is
Kind of useless without an OR.
I mean, this seems really dumb and I can't imagine a neurosurgeon actually doing this and sacrificing quality of life and pay in exchange for a high probability of a career-ending injury when an actual medic (EMT or combat medic) would be just as good and probably significantly better.
Ya but you could get that ventric in the field tho.
Re Tar Did. EMT vs neurosurgeon? To do it for fun sure but to think it is a good way for a aneurosurgeon to use skills or time or any synergy with practice?!
holy shit lol do not apply neurosurgery you absolute smoothbrain

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)