Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research year away from home institution
Im an M2 at a T5 interested in a surgical sub-specialty. I’ve been blessed with a great research mentor at my home institution in my specialty of interest. We have excellent personal rapport and have also been productive research wise.

However, my first choice program is a different T5 while my home institution is my second choice. How wise would it be to do a research year at that other institution to increase my chances of matching there. Nobody at my home institution interested in this subspecialty has done a research year away from home, so I worry about burning bridges.
If you indeed have good rapport, you can explain to your mentor why the other program suits you more, and that you’re gunning for it. Most mentors I‘ve know support that. I don‘t think you‘ll burn bridges but they will know they’re 2nd, which is something you‘d have to articulate either way at some point

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)