Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are clinical vs. basic sci pubs viewed? And better to prioritize 1st author?
Hi, there are a couple labs I'm looking at. One can give me a few 1st author clinical pubs e.g. 3-5 and a maybe like 5 co-authors on mostly clinical, maybe 1 basic sci or translational.

Another can give like 1 very good basic sci pub, and a few co author on clinical pubs or basic sci.

The last lab just cranks out a bunch of clinical pubs, so like 20+, but they would all be co-authors, maybe 1-2 first author
One solid basic science paper in a well respected journal will be worth more than any number of clinical studies.
Bit of a chicken and egg problem. I agree that one notable first-author paper in a good journal wins, but many people still respect volume. I ask applicants a variant of: "What project are you the most proud of?". Try to have a good answer to that and a decent number of publications to please people of the alternate view.

For your career - science contribution is one or two papers (tumor/functional model), clinical contribution is based on volume (spine style).
^this comment should be on every single thread.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)