Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
matching in top 3
what percent of people specifically applying to neurosurgery match in top 3? Anybody know from personal experience? Crossing my fingers for March 16th  Confused
(02-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Guest Wrote: what percent of people specifically applying to neurosurgery match in top 3? Anybody know from personal experience? Crossing my fingers for March 16th  Confused

how did it go?
OP here. Dropped a bit further down my list than i would have liked but it's ok . From looking at the match spreadsheet of people's names, it seems like a good majority matched in their top 3 or 5.
same here, I am at my number 8 but happy to match (also happy to NOT match at my bottom 10)
(02-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Guest Wrote: what percent of people specifically applying to neurosurgery match in top 3? Anybody know from personal experience? Crossing my fingers for March 16th  Confused

We actually have data on that based on the survey. Check the 2018 Match thread
(03-20-2018, 10:48 PM)Guest Wrote:

Attached Files
.pdf   2018 Neurosurgery Match Survey Report.pdf (Size: 141.51 KB / Downloads: 74)
(03-20-2018, 10:56 PM)MrGyrus Wrote:

Matched at number 16, big surprise. Don't let phone calls give you a false sense of assurance. Regardless, ended up being a good program and pumped to be a neurosurgeon.
(03-21-2018, 10:22 AM)Guest Wrote:

Matched at number 16, big surprise. Don't let phone calls give you a false sense of assurance. Regardless, ended up being a good program and pumped to be a neurosurgeon.

Don't overlook the reality that this sentiment applies just as frequently on the program side. Applicants aren't the only ones "surprised" by their rank matches and a lot of applicants are also guilty of giving programs a false sense of assurance and/or mixed messages. I'm not saying this to give any incoming R1 a complex about where their program ranked them because it really doesn't matter in the long run as you mentioned. Just think it's important to emphasize that the match can be a crapshoot from both sides and PD's can be just as weird and insecure about their match lists and where applicants are ranking their program as applicants are.
(03-22-2018, 04:10 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 10:22 AM)Guest Wrote:

Don't overlook the reality that this sentiment applies just as frequently on the program side. Applicants aren't the only ones "surprised" by their rank matches and a lot of applicants are also guilty of giving programs a false sense of assurance and/or mixed messages. I'm not saying this to give any incoming R1 a complex about where their program ranked them because it really doesn't matter in the long run as you mentioned. Just think it's important to emphasize that the match can be a crapshoot from both sides and PD's can be just as weird and insecure about their match lists and where applicants are ranking their program as applicants are.
Well, I wish the programs I communicated with would have trusted mine as I was honest about my communication and despite the alluring feedback I also fell to my 13th. Thankfully I also ended up at a good program and am also pumped about becoming a Neurosurgeon.
I just wish there was no trying to ‘game’ a system that was not designed to be gamed, but rather to maximize both applicants’ and programs’ preferences
MGH, Columbia, and Cleveland Clinic are the top 3 programs, no competition

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)