Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Please help me achieve my goal.
Hey, my name is Saam, an 8th grader who's looking forward to a successful carrier as a neurosurgeon. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, it takes a minimum of 18 years to become a neurosurgeon. Is it possible for me to 'side-study' neurological surgery during high school? And if so, what do study? Is there a certain book that I could read/study? Or an online course that I could take?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Hi Saam, the most important thing for you to focus on now is making sure that you do well in your high school courses and geting a great SAT/ACT score. The key to your future success is to be able to focus on what you are being graded on at the moment, and right now you will be graded on these high school grades and SAT/ACT scores. If you can get yourself to work very hard on what you are supposed to focus on at the moment, then you will do very well at every stage and you will eventually have the option to pursue any path you may choose.

Good Luck!
Your goal right now should be 2 things:

1. Get into a great college.

2. Have enough of a social life to learn to not be a weirdo.

Don't lock yourself in a room and study neurosurgery, go out and have experiences. Become an interesting person outside of school with interests and hobbies that have NOTHING to do with school.

When I was in 8th grade I wanted to be a professional snowboarder. You'll probably want to me a fireman in 6 months. Just relax
You should focus on matching into a top 3 program. If you don't match at MGH, Hopkins, or Brigham; you will have a worthless career. It'll be like becoming a neurologist
(04-06-2018, 12:24 PM)Guest Wrote: You should focus on matching into a top 3 program. If you don't match at MGH, Hopkins, or Brigham; you will have a worthless career. It'll be like becoming a neurologist

Top 3 program.  Brigham, Hopkins, MGH.  Pick one or the other, but those statements don't overlap
(04-06-2018, 02:04 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-06-2018, 12:24 PM)Guest Wrote: You should focus on matching into a top 3 program. If you don't match at MGH, Hopkins, or Brigham; you will have a worthless career. It'll be like becoming a neurologist

Top 3 program.  Brigham, Hopkins, MGH.  Pick one or the other, but those statements don't overlap

What kind of USNWR reading undergrad thinks BWH or MGH is a top 3 neurosurgery program? MGH in terms of research is a top program but they have one decent spine surgeon, no notable vascular surgeons, too many tumor guys and have lost their top functional neurosurgeon who was putting out most of their high impact papers. BWH hasn't been a top 20 program since the 90s. The place is malignant and is only good for a skull base fellowship.

Hopkins is a perennial top program up there with UCSF and Barrow.

To answer this thread: don't worry about neurosurgery now. Get into a good undergrad with a medical school affiliation where you can easily shadow and do research. Work hard, make connections, hope for the best.
(04-06-2018, 03:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-06-2018, 02:04 PM)Guest Wrote:

What kind of USNWR reading undergrad thinks BWH or MGH is a top 3 neurosurgery program? MGH in terms of research is a top program but they have one decent spine surgeon, no notable vascular surgeons, too many tumor guys and have lost their top functional neurosurgeon who was putting out most of their high impact papers. BWH hasn't been a top 20 program since the 90s. The place is malignant and is only good for a skull base fellowship.

Hopkins is a perennial top program up there with UCSF and Barrow.

To answer this thread: don't worry about neurosurgery now. Get into a good undergrad with a medical school affiliation where you can easily shadow and do research. Work hard, make connections, hope for the best.

Why do people allow themselves to get trolled so easily?
Hopkins blows. the most malignant program in the country. I'm so glad I didn't rank them in my top 10 inspite of being told I was ranked to match
This forum really needs moderation.
(04-06-2018, 09:24 PM)Guest Wrote: This forum really needs moderation.

No worries, just was gonna let you know I'm an attending now! 

Flag the posts if three are issues.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)