Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanford Neurosurgery
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the status was on Stanford Neurosurgery. Is this a solid place to train, or is it mainly about research? What about job outcomes?

Thanks.
(04-26-2018, 10:15 PM)zlaomekvic Wrote: Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the status was on Stanford Neurosurgery. Is this a solid place to train, or is it mainly about research? What about job outcomes?

Thanks.

Mainly about research, will set you up well for an academic career. Alum are at places like Hopkins and such. Great place if you're eyeing up an RO1 later in your career/if you want to run a basic science lab. Operative experience is probably comparable to Columbia/Michigan/MGH. All the good cases in the bay area get sent off to UCSF. The med students coming out of Stanford don't seem to want to stay because they know they won't operate. Cerebrovascular is a bright spot with the chair being a leader in that subspecialty.
So basically a weak program? Gotcha
Whatever. It's still stanford. More money for residents than ucsf, less malignant and better career options/$$$ after residency
(04-27-2018, 09:58 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 10:15 PM)zlaomekvic Wrote: Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the status was on Stanford Neurosurgery. Is this a solid place to train, or is it mainly about research? What about job outcomes?

Thanks.

Mainly about research, will set you up well for an academic career. Alum are at places like Hopkins and such. Great place if you're eyeing up an RO1 later in your career/if you want to run a basic science lab. Operative experience is probably comparable to Columbia/Michigan/MGH. All the good cases in the bay area get sent off to UCSF. The med students coming out of Stanford don't seem to want to stay because they know they won't operate. Cerebrovascular is a bright spot with the chair being a leader in that subspecialty.

Steinberg is a nice guy and all, but leader in vascular is a vast overstatement.
Go if you want to stay in the bay but you won’t match at UCSF
Former Sub-I, solid program. I loved my time there. You work really hard in the ICU, but get great training if you apply yourself and can get involved in outstanding research.
Possible to match here without a research year given the rest of the app is strong (>250 steps, solid LORs, several pubs, and good performance on subi)?

*edit: and if coming from state school*
(04-30-2018, 07:20 PM)omegalomaniac Wrote: Possible to match here without a research year given the rest of the app is strong (>250 steps, solid LORs, several pubs, and good performance on subi)?

Yes. I'm not a resident at Stanford but they don't seem to be a program that is that much of an old boys club like Columbia or MGH which only take ivy league grads.
(04-30-2018, 08:42 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 07:20 PM)omegalomaniac Wrote: Possible to match here without a research year given the rest of the app is strong (>250 steps, solid LORs, several pubs, and good performance on subi)?

Yes. I'm not a resident at Stanford but they don't seem to be a program that is that much of an old boys club like Columbia or MGH which only take ivy league grads.
Columbia just matched a student from IU. State school last time I checked.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)