Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for ms3 year to improve chances
Hi all. So I came into Neurosurgery kind of late right before my MS3 year. I was wondering how I should approach the next year to try to get a residency? I emailed a bunch of people about neurosurgery research but no luck so far. I worked on a project in another field for a year and got 2 posters/presentations out of it and am submitting for a pub (not guaranteed) but the NRMP data shows average around 15 research experiences!! How the f*** anyone can do that boggles me as I had to pry and beg for my meager 2 presentations. Is it easier to get research third year or am I missing something? 

I looked at the match outcomes for 2018 and it said 47/48 matched in the 251-260 range (I got high 250s) but not sure if I trust that.... I go to a regular state school (no big name) with a NS program. I have no interest in taking a year off. Getting into UTSW or any of the programs in Houston (I found 3) is my goal right now. Thanks in advance.
Talk to your 4th years who just matched if your school had anyone apply for neurosurgery.
(07-04-2018, 03:28 PM)Ns hopeful Wrote: Hi all. So I came into Neurosurgery kind of late right before my MS3 year. I was wondering how I should approach the next year to try to get a residency? I emailed a bunch of people about neurosurgery research but no luck so far. I worked on a project in another field for a year and got 2 posters/presentations out of it and am submitting for a pub (not guaranteed) but the NRMP data shows average around 15 research experiences!! How the f*** anyone can do that boggles me as I had to pry and beg for my meager 2 presentations. Is it easier to get research third year or am I missing something? 

I looked at the match outcomes for 2018 and it said 47/48 matched in the 251-260 range (I got high 250s) but not sure if I trust that.... I go to a regular state school (no big name) with a NS program. I have no interest in taking a year off. Getting into UTSW or any of the programs in Houston (I found 3) is my goal right now. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to talk to the residents?  That’s what I did and seems pretty successful.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)