Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.83 Average
Stony Brook Neurosurgery Meet & Greet
(10-02-2021, 12:53 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 12:23 PM)Guest Wrote: lots of doctors have weird beleifs he can still be a good surgeon

It says program director not surgeon. Authority over students warrants the scrutiny of fringe beliefs. According to the link their program director blames Darwin for the Holocaust. By the way, I before E except after C. Belief.

Yes, it’s crazy people people still believe in the holocaust
(10-04-2021, 08:52 AM)Guest Wrote: He’s a brilliant surgeon and an absolute gentleman. Whatever you may think about his positions on other topics outside of medicine, he is a wonderful person to work with in Neurosurgery, which is the most important thing. People are entitled to their own views on other things, and we can agree to disagree, but does it compromise or impinge on his primary work as a neurosurgeon? The answer is no.

You don’t make the news for incredible rescue operations if you don’t have a good mastery of your craft, which Dr. Egnor does

Wow assuming this wasn't written by Dr. Egnor himself, it sounds like a great program. 

Some of the best doctors I have met are religious, nothing wrong with that. People completely distort his views, btw. 

Do you have advice on what they are looking for? How is the culture like? Would be very interested in learning more about this program. 

Thank you again!
I would say most of the senior society themselves are more right wing/particularly religious types but aren’t as vocal as Egnor is.
(10-02-2021, 03:01 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 12:23 PM)Guest Wrote: lots of doctors have weird beleifs he can still be a good surgeon

It says program director not surgeon. Authority over students warrants the scrutiny of fringe beliefs. According to the link their program director blames Darwin for the Holocaust. By the way, I before E except after C. Belief.

thats a far-left athesist site. just because u are not far-left liberal radical, you cannot be a good surgeon? very extreme anti-catholic hysteria here. so i guess catholics cannot be doctors or pds? he has his own views and they are reasonalbe. sounds like a good program i would be honored to attend. 

does anyone know more about this program other than anti-catholic people here?

I take your point that a person's religious beliefs don't mean they can't be great doctors or Program Directors, and that Stony Brook appears to be a good program on the rise.

However, while the website may be atheist, I'd hardly call that website "far-left". A far-left website wouldn't have a pro-Israel slant and wouldn't vilify an actual left-wing figure like Jeremy Corbyn.
(10-04-2021, 03:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

thats a far-left athesist site. just because u are not far-left liberal radical, you cannot be a good surgeon? very extreme anti-catholic hysteria here. so i guess catholics cannot be doctors or pds? he has his own views and they are reasonalbe. sounds like a good program i would be honored to attend. 

I take your point that a person's religious beliefs don't mean they can't be great doctors or Program Directors, and that Stony Brook appears to be a good program on the rise.

However, while the website may be atheist, I'd hardly call that website "far-left". A far-left website wouldn't have a pro-Israel slant and wouldn't vilify an actual left-wing figure like Jeremy Corbyn.

Let’s all agree it’s a bad look. Your social media presence is your reputation in this day and age. Realistically Stony is fine but at end of day bad press is bad press.. let this be lesson to youngsters
Focusing on the program itself, from what I’ve heard, it’s definitely on the rise, and Dr. Egnor’s credentials and pedigree as a neurosurgeon are both excellent. He also seems to be excellent mentor figure as well. At the end of the day, are you here to work solely with people who share your world view, politics, and ideology, or are you trying to get the best training as a neurosurgeon? Hate to break it to many, but many surgeons tend to be on the more conservative side of the spectrum, and many are religious as well
It amazes me how some of you Fuckers would just seek to ruin someone's reputation.

Dr. Egnor never questioned the Holocaust. He just reasoned that the Holocaust was the logical extension of natural selection/evolution. You may/may not agree with this view, but it is perfectly valid and is in fact relatively mainstream amongst moral/ethical philosophers.

Dr. Egnor never questioned evolution. He simply believes in intelligent design. He has written a few online articles on this, and what he believes in is mainstream Christian view.

Again, many of you are completely taking his beliefs out of context, leading me to reason that perhaps you are motivated by prejudices.

Judging from what some posters familiar with the program have stated, he seems like a very kind, gently man who makes a great mentor and PD. Many people are looking for that. A lot of religious people practice ethics and honesty, which is what you want in a physician. If he believes that he is serving a higher power by practicing surgery, it means that he values his craft and has enormous respect for what he does.

Contrast this so many (most?) of you who are motivated by money and personal pride.

Corbyn is vilified because he believes Palestinians deserve basic rights. It doesn’t surprise me that this Zionist website vilifies Corbyn and also attacks Christians.
It's simple. If you disagree with this PDs views just don't apply there.
(10-04-2021, 05:04 PM)Guest Wrote:

Corbyn is vilified because he believes Palestinians deserve basic rights. It doesn’t surprise me that this Zionist website vilifies Corbyn and also attacks Christians.
A bit off-topic, but yes, you're right. Corbyn can feel vindicated in that public opinion has shifted radically on that conflict. Just look at the demonstrations back in May. FAR more broad public support for the Palestinians. And he's had a lifelong track record of opposing racism and war. Pretty sure Brits would rather him now than that big blonde oaf they have now.

Back to the program, it's a shame that this thread was sullied by someone bashing the Program Director, a veteran, top-notch neurosurgeon, for his personal beliefs, whatever you may think of them. It's good to see that most comments were in defense and praise of Dr. Egnor and the program. I know people who were treated by him and they hold him in the highest regard as a physician who operated on and followed them for years. Anyone who matches for neurosurg here will have very good training.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)