Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Please help me achieve my goal.
(04-06-2018, 09:24 PM)Guest Wrote: This forum really needs moderation.

yeh sure. be deaf to the ones who shatfe their interview experiences  ignorant
We should all benice
(04-06-2018, 12:57 AM)DoctorSaam Wrote: Hey, my name is Saam, an 8th grader who's looking forward to a successful carrier as a neurosurgeon. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, it takes a minimum of 18 years to become a neurosurgeon. Is it possible for me to 'side-study' neurological surgery during high school? And if so, what do study? Is there a certain book that I could read/study? Or an online course that I could take?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Hey Saam, you have gotten some good advice here. Without going to another country you really can't significantly shorten the time necessary to become a neurosurgeon. Enjoy high school and college and do as well as you can at what you are doing at the time. You will need good high school grades to get to a good undergrad school, and you will need good undergrad grades and a good MCAT to get to a good medical school, and then you'll need good med school grades and step scores to be competitive for neurosurgery, so just do well at what you are doing. Work hard, but learn to balance your life so you can be happy and healthy while you're working hard. 

Reading about neurosurgery now really probably won't help you much for your future, but if you want to read to satisfy your curiosity I might recommend 'Principles of Neurological Surgery', by Ellenbogen, Abdulrauf, and Sekhar. It is more of an overview of the field with an interesting chapter on the history of the field. It is written for the level of the medical student, and is way too much information for you at the moment, but it isn't as much as an overload as most of the other books would be. Another cool resource is 'the Neurosurgical Atlas' by Dr. Aaron Cohen-Gadol (https://www.neurosurgicalatlas.com/). Again, it is way too much information, but can give you a cool overview of what goes on in the OR. Don't look at any of that when you should be studying for your high school classes...

Good luck and I hope to see you in the OR some day!
you got this kid
Start by doing your undergrad online with the U of Phoenix. Doors will magically open for you after that.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)