Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deciding late M3 yr
(04-09-2018, 03:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 02:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 01:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 09:27 AM)Guest Wrote:
Quote:Women with low academic stats are just as screwed.

Uh... no. I personally know two women who matched with < 240 this cycle. One had only average grades. They're both great people and I would have been happy to have either as a coresident, but what you're saying isn't true at all.

I'm sure that's true. I also know of dudes who matched <240. In either case this is program specific. We screen <245 w/ the ERAS filter so our PD wouldn't go through any apps below that, male or female. None of this applies to the OP tho, since their app is literally all weaknesses, with not a single thing to make up for any of it. She'd have a tough time matching into an academic gen surg program let alone neurosurgery.
What program are you at that screens <245?

Top east coast program. This isn't that unusual. Programs like Baylor and Stanford have had high cutoffs for a couple of years now. Obviously these don't apply if you do a Sub I since you're basically interviewed during your month. Even if you only look at people with 245+ there's still an insane amount of good applicants and we couldn't possibly interview them all.

God damn it. Good night sweet 243, parting is such sweet sorrow
(04-09-2018, 03:23 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 03:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 02:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 01:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 09:27 AM)Guest Wrote: Uh... no. I personally know two women who matched with < 240 this cycle. One had only average grades. They're both great people and I would have been happy to have either as a coresident, but what you're saying isn't true at all.

I'm sure that's true. I also know of dudes who matched <240. In either case this is program specific. We screen <245 w/ the ERAS filter so our PD wouldn't go through any apps below that, male or female. None of this applies to the OP tho, since their app is literally all weaknesses, with not a single thing to make up for any of it. She'd have a tough time matching into an academic gen surg program let alone neurosurgery.
What program are you at that screens <245?

Top east coast program. This isn't that unusual. Programs like Baylor and Stanford have had high cutoffs for a couple of years now. Obviously these don't apply if you do a Sub I since you're basically interviewed during your month. Even if you only look at people with 245+ there's still an insane amount of good applicants and we couldn't possibly interview them all.

God damn it. Good night sweet 243, parting is such sweet sorrow

Unfortunately there are cases like this with any cutoff which has to be arbitrary. If you make it 230 the people with 229 will miss out, etc.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)