Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deciding late M3 yr
(04-08-2018, 10:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 07:59 PM)Guest Wrote: What to do if deciding to do neurosurgery late in M3 yr? I was originally thinking of applying to a noncompetitive specialty, and felt my application was good for that one. But late during my M3 yr I realized neurosurg is the only specialty for me, and I sincerely cannot imagine anything else! I have been scrubbing into neurosurg cases in my free time and following neurosurg pts courses when i can. Unfortunately I do not have the research to back it up. My step 1 score is national average and my grades are not exceptional (mostly pass, honors in half of clinicals). My school does not have a neurosurg program so I was never exposed to it and it did not cross my mind as an option. I also do not have access to mentors. Dont know if it matters, I am a female applicant. I know I am very behind on pursuing this career path. From these threads, it seems most people wanted to pursue neurosurgery from the womb!

I am feeling very behind with all of this, yet determined to do what it takes!

I am scheduled for 3 neurosurg rotations to improve my exposure and prove my dedication in my M4 year.

Idea Would love some helpful feedback and suggestions I can take moving forward. Anecdotal evidence of success is very welcome!

Being a female applicant will help. Our program (a strong program in the NE) is always looking to diversify our resident pool and we typically consider female applicants even if their scores are in the 220-230s

Also at a top east coast program. Female applicants here get an extra look, all other things being equal (and this past cycle almost all of our female applicants were academic superstars). The problem here isn't just the board scores. The applicant has zero research, no mentorship, and subpar grades. Literally the only strength of their application is their gender. That's probably not a recipe for match success, especially after seeing the caliber of applicants this past cycle (both men and women).
If this cycle taught us anything.

Being female + having a pulse = match. Being a female + 240+ = top 25 program. Being a female + 240+ + a publication = Top 10 program.

Being a white male = screwed for life.

Having a name that no patient will ever be able to pronounce + high Step score = TOP TIER BABY!

So disgusting what this field has come to. Then again it is now run by physicians that fit in the third category and more of their "kind".
(04-09-2018, 01:50 AM)Guest Wrote: If this cycle taught us anything.  

Being female + having a pulse = match.  Being a female + 240+ = top 25 program.  Being a female + 240+ + a publication = Top 10 program.  

Being a white male = screwed for life.

Having a name that no patient will ever be able to pronounce + high Step score = TOP TIER BABY!

So disgusting what this field has come to.  Then again it is now run by physicians that fit in the third category and more of their "kind".

This is absolutely not true. I've reviewed apps for the past 2 cycles. Fewer women apply but on average their academic performance is on par or even exceeds that of the average male applicant (but there are many more male applicants and thus numerically a greater amount of "strong" male applicants). Women with low academic stats are just as screwed. In this case, the OP also has absolutely nothing - no research, no big name letters to make up for it either. Also, although the 2 programs described above may favor women, just anecdotally I've heard of many more that hold it against you.
Quote:Women with low academic stats are just as screwed.

Uh... no. I personally know two women who matched with < 240 this cycle. One had only average grades. They're both great people and I would have been happy to have either as a coresident, but what you're saying isn't true at all.
Many residents openly told me that being a woman is a huge advantage.
(04-09-2018, 09:27 AM)Guest Wrote:

Uh... no. I personally know two women who matched with < 240 this cycle. One had only average grades. They're both great people and I would have been happy to have either as a coresident, but what you're saying isn't true at all.

I'm sure that's true. I also know of dudes who matched <240. In either case this is program specific. We screen <245 w/ the ERAS filter so our PD wouldn't go through any apps below that, male or female. None of this applies to the OP tho, since their app is literally all weaknesses, with not a single thing to make up for any of it. She'd have a tough time matching into an academic gen surg program let alone neurosurgery.
(04-09-2018, 01:12 PM)Guest Wrote:

I'm sure that's true. I also know of dudes who matched <240. In either case this is program specific. We screen <245 w/ the ERAS filter so our PD wouldn't go through any apps below that, male or female. None of this applies to the OP tho, since their app is literally all weaknesses, with not a single thing to make up for any of it. She'd have a tough time matching into an academic gen surg program let alone neurosurgery.

Based on some of the reports she'd have a tough time matching psych
(04-09-2018, 01:15 PM)Guest Wrote:

Based on some of the reports she'd have a tough time matching psych
why?

What program are you at that screens <245?
(04-09-2018, 02:11 PM)Guest Wrote:

What program are you at that screens <245?

Top east coast program. This isn't that unusual. Programs like Baylor and Stanford have had high cutoffs for a couple of years now. Obviously these don't apply if you do a Sub I since you're basically interviewed during your month. Even if you only look at people with 245+ there's still an insane amount of good applicants and we couldn't possibly interview them all.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)